Despite the weather and the still very wet conditions I have managed to sow on some previously dug ground, which was prepared in the Autumn.
I have sown two rows of parsnips and a block of onion sets, as well as three rows of broad beans. So I am feeling quite chuffed! My next task is the get some potatoes ‘chitting’ in the garage.
I have noticed that the rhubarb is making an appearance. Last year I froze some surplus recurrants which I am now using to make jelly, which should last through to the this year’s harvest.
If the weather remains dry I will get back to the digging of new beds on my new plot (see previous blogs). This was put on hold by the flooding of recent months. Given the prone-ness of this new plot to flooding I think it will be one for use in the summer only, when it has drained sufficiently, for squashes and pumpkins and courgettes. I will try to raise the soil by adding more compost and manure and trenching around the sides.
All in all I am ready to get going!